Thursday, September 11, 2014

Despite negativity, Americans mixed on ideal role of Gov't

The passage I chose is the one about American's feelings on the role of the government. Displayed in the passage are many surveys showing us what American's feel about the governments power. What I noticed when looking at all of the surveys is for the most part Americans believe the government was too much power in every aspect questioned. Newport also brings taxes into account. In the passage he says 56% of Americans would be willing to pay less in taxes and accept fewer services. This stat interested me the most because it made me wonder which category I would have been in. Of course I would love to pay less taxes just like that 56% of Americans do, but then I wonder if we were to get our way with that one, how would it affect America? We sometimes tend to be negative towards the government and think they do and take too much; but how would things be if they did less?

I chose this passage because I was very interested to see what other Americans feel about our governments power. Before reading this article I was with the majority of the votes (those who voted the government has too much power) because I've always felt the government does too much, takes too much, and does a lot of unnecessary things. I've always felt they have too much control and take too much from the working class to spend on things they want to do that in no way help me or to just give away to those who don't do anything at all but collect. But after reading this article, and seeing some people vote the government has the right amount or too little amount of power, made me try to think as to why they would feel that way. Then I got to wondering how much different things would be if the government in fact had less power and gave more power to the people. Would it be a good thing or a bad thing? Would the economy rise or fall? Would things get out of control? Then it made me think maybe it is best for the government to remain with the power that they have simply to avoid chaos.

No comments:

Post a Comment